A motor vehicle collision can be a stressful experience for everyone involved. To respond appropriately, there are a number of critical post-crash steps you need to keep in mind—steps that can help get your insurance in order or even save a life. Remember to do the following:
- Turn off your vehicle and stay on the scene. Only move your vehicle out of the way of traffic if it is safe to do so. If your vehicle cannot be driven, turn on your hazard lights or use cones, warning triangles or flares, as appropriate.
- Call the authorities if anyone is injured or there is significant damage to vehicles or public property.
- Take photos of the accident.
- Record as much information as possible, including your information, the other driver’s information and a description of the collision.
- Inform your insurer of what happened and ask for next steps.
What About Your Car?
Depending on the severity of the accident, your car may not be drivable. If that’s the case, and if you’re thinking about calling a tow truck, be sure that you don’t be the next victim of this scam: