Hail can strike anywhere and at any time, causing major damage to your vehicle. When a hailstorm occurs, take the following precautions to keep you and your vehicle safe:
- Do not get out of your vehicle if you are driving during a hailstorm. If you can pull over to the side of the road, do so safely.
- Park your car on an angle so that the hail hits the front of your car. This protects your side and rear windows, which are not made of reinforced glass.
- Find covered parking to protect your car, like a parking garage or awning. If you live in a hailstorm-prone area, it may be a good idea to purchase or build a covered parking solution for your home, like a metal canopy or garage.
- Use blankets or a hail car cover. These items can be very effective in protecting vehicles from damage, especially if you are far away from shelter.
- Locate a body shop that you trust to make any necessary repairs.
- Discuss the extent of the damage with the body shop and your insurance broker.
For more hail damage prevention tips, watch this news story:
As mentioned in this video, the average cost to repair hail damage to a car ranges from $1,500-$5,000, so it’s definitely better to be safe than sorry.