“Slip and Fall” Accidents Can Be Prevented
It’s a growing trend and a commentary on today’s society. Members of the public are now more likely to sue when they have been injured on your premises due to a “slip and fall” accident. Studies show the number of claims and the amounts being paid out have increased substantially over the past few years.
How Am I at Risk?
If you are a business owner, you may be at risk of being sued if someone slips, trips, or falls when:
- There is an unsafe condition on your premises;
- You should have foreseen the accident due to a hazardous condition;
- The accident could have been avoided if you had taken precautions;
- You fail to post warning signs advising of any known hazards;
- You fail to have written inspection and maintenance procedures in place.
How can I protect myself against claims?
Most “slip and fall” accidents are caused by slippery walkways, sidewalks, parking lots, uneven pavement, missing guardrails, improperly maintained staircases, wet floors, or other hazards. Your best protection is to inspect, repair, and document the state of your premises on a regular basis.
For commercial clients, we can review your situation and provide you with tools and help to protect yourself against claims. Please call us to get started.
(Copyright: Staying in Touch 2004 – Volume Fourteen, Number Two)