The health and construction of your home’s roof are vital for protecting your home and its contents. Wind, rain, hail and snow can slowly degrade your roof. To promote the health of your roof and protection of your home, inspect your roof every spring and fall for the following common signs of wear and tear:
- Cracked, curling or missing shingles
- Debris-filled rain gutters
- Asphalt debris on the ground or in rain gutters
- Worn areas around chimneys or other fixtures
- Drainage or downspouts that angle toward the foundation
- Outside light shining through to your attic
If you spot any of the above signs of wear and tear, it may be time to repair or replace your roof. Follow these steps in order when re-roofing yourself, or hire only licenced roofing contractors for repairs, replacement or advice on appropriate roof materials:
- Remove tree branches that hang over the roof.
- Remove the existing roof cover.
- Inspect the roof for damage, and replace damaged sections.
- Re-nail the roof deck.
- Anchor gable end outlookers.
- Seal the roof deck against water.
- Install flashing.
- Apply the roof cover.
- Apply roof vents.
Contact us today to learn about your home insurance policy and to make sure you’re covered.