Fire extinguishers are useful in preventing small fires from becoming larger and more threatening to you and those around you. In order to safely and successfully eliminate a fire with an extinguisher, there are a few tips and procedures you should follow.
Use the PASS Method
The PASS method is the safest and most effective way to use a fire extinguisher. The acronym will remind you to:
- Pull out the pin on the fire extinguisher.
- Aim low, pointing the nozzle at the base of the fire.
- Squeeze the lever slowly and evenly.
- Sweep the nozzle from side to side.
Knowing how to use a fire extinguisher is one thing, but it’s also important to know what to do before approaching a fire.
- If necessary, alert the fire department or sound the fire alarm.
- Always establish an evacuation plan.
- Only try to extinguish a fire that is slow growing, small, and giving off minimal heat and smoke.
If at any point the fire cannot be controlled or you become frightened, evacuate immediately and wait for the fire department to arrive.
Talk to your employer to familiarize yourself with proper evacuation procedures and the locations of all fire extinguishers on the premises.